ACS quality and safety case studies
Pediatric surgeons and gastroenterologists collaborate with outpatient community services to streamline outpatient gastrostomy tube placement(0)
Gastrostomy tube (G-tube) placement is often a crucial component in a medically complex child’s care and one of the more common procedures performed at children’s hospitals; however, approaches to patient counseling and postoperative management for this procedure varies. Families often agonize over the decision and worry about their ability to care for their child after […]
Opioid abuse has come to the forefront of medical issues in recent years. What began in the 1990s with an increase in opioid prescriptions, fueled by a desire to better treat pain and reassurances from pharmaceutical companies on safety, developed into a crisis affecting nearly 1.7 million individuals by 2017, according to the National Institute […]
A quality improvement initiative implemented by the University of Alabama at Birmingham improved patient mobility and decreased hospital length of stay for an older surgical patient population.
The results of a quality improvement initiative to decrease unplanned intensive care unit admissions at Geisinger-CMC, Scranton, PA, are summarized.
Postoperative pain and nausea protocols decrease LOS without increasing readmissions after laparoscopic gastric bypass
Analgesic and nausea protocols deployed across four phases of operative care in patients at The University of Maryland Medical Center, Baltimore, resulted in a reduced length of stay without increasing readmissions.
More in this category
- Hospital-based preoperative clinic applies ERAS and Strong for Surgery guidelines to optimize patients for surgery
- ERAS leads to reduced length of stay for geriatric joint replacement patients
- ERAS program improves outcomes in patients undergoing cytoreductive surgery and heated intraperitoneal chemotherapy
- New protocol leads to improved trauma decannulation rate
- Routine Foley catheter placement affects postoperative UTIs in bariatric surgery patients
- Enhanced recovery program benefits frail colon and rectal surgery patients
- Implementation of a pediatric trauma cervical spine clearance pathway
- Dedicated pre- and postoperative unit leads to fasttrack pathway for noncomplicated pediatric appendicitis
- ERABS leads to reduced opioid use among bariatric surgery patients
- UC Davis implements a clinical practice guideline for postoperative management of pediatric appendicitis
- A multidisciplinary approach reduces clostridium difficile infections in adult surgical patients
- Texas Children’s Hospital introduces standardized protocol to reduce pediatric baclofen pump infections
- Improving high-value care of ileocolic intussusception in a pediatric ED
- South Miami Hospital implements strategies for prevention of SSI in bariatric surgery
- Quality improvement in imaging strategies for pediatric appendicitis