ACS quality and safety case studies
The results of a quality improvement initiative to decrease unplanned intensive care unit admissions at Geisinger-CMC, Scranton, PA, are summarized.
Postoperative pain and nausea protocols decrease LOS without increasing readmissions after laparoscopic gastric bypass
Analgesic and nausea protocols deployed across four phases of operative care in patients at The University of Maryland Medical Center, Baltimore, resulted in a reduced length of stay without increasing readmissions.
Hospital-based preoperative clinic applies ERAS and Strong for Surgery guidelines to optimize patients for surgery
The results of an ERAS initiative and a Strong for Surgery checklist applied to colorectal surgery patients at CHRISTUS St. Michael Health System, Texarkana, TX, are summarized.
The results of a quality improvement initiative to reduce length of stay for arthroplasty patients at the Kaiser Westside Medical Center (KWMC), Hillsboro, OR, are summarized.
ERAS program improves outcomes in patients undergoing cytoreductive surgery and heated intraperitoneal chemotherapy
The Mayo Clinic in Arizona, Phoenix, implemented an enhanced recovery after surgery program for patients undergoing hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy, and the results and lessons learned are described.
More in this category
- New protocol leads to improved trauma decannulation rate
- Routine Foley catheter placement affects postoperative UTIs in bariatric surgery patients
- Enhanced recovery program benefits frail colon and rectal surgery patients
- Implementation of a pediatric trauma cervical spine clearance pathway
- Dedicated pre- and postoperative unit leads to fasttrack pathway for noncomplicated pediatric appendicitis
- ERABS leads to reduced opioid use among bariatric surgery patients
- UC Davis implements a clinical practice guideline for postoperative management of pediatric appendicitis
- A multidisciplinary approach reduces clostridium difficile infections in adult surgical patients
- Texas Children’s Hospital introduces standardized protocol to reduce pediatric baclofen pump infections
- Improving high-value care of ileocolic intussusception in a pediatric ED
- South Miami Hospital implements strategies for prevention of SSI in bariatric surgery
- Quality improvement in imaging strategies for pediatric appendicitis
- Preoperative smoking cessation: Every patient, every operation
- Practice changes lower rates of transfusion, superficial SSI, and morbidity
- Practice changes for reducing UTIs in colon and rectal surgery patients