For your patients
The results of a quality improvement initiative in the intensive care unit at the Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, ON, focused on reducing inappropriate prophylactic antibiotic use in neonatal patients.
Describes the aim and structure of the OPT-IN trial, which was developed to address the high recurrence rates seen in patients with presumably localized disease after re-resection of incidentally diagnosed gallbladder cancer.
Technology has continued to drive advances in surgery toward more minimally invasive, cost-conscious, patient-centric procedures. At the same time, the battle to prevent surgical complications has taken center stage as a means to improve patient outcomes and reduce overall health care costs for both patients and hospitals. Complications and their associated costs after surgical intervention […]
It is astonishing to consider that it was only 10 years ago that the first immune checkpoint blockade inhibitor garnered Food and Drug Administration approval. Modern immunotherapy began as single-agent therapy in patients with widely metastatic disease in just a few types of cancer, whereas today, hundreds of different agents targeting various aspects of the […]
As the world’s population ages, older people are increasingly presenting to the hospital with surgical problems that require assessment and management. Older patients face different challenges than their younger counterparts, including an increased risk of complications, death, and functional decline.1,2 The presence of frailty, cognitive impairment, and multiple comorbidities also contributes to poorer postoperative outcomes […]
More in this category
- Trials explore whether endocrine therapy can delay or avert surgery in low-risk DCIS
- Hospital aims to stop the clot in neurosurgery
- Preoperative radiotherapy for retroperitoneal sarcoma: Where do we go from here?
- Pediatric surgeons and gastroenterologists collaborate with outpatient community services to streamline outpatient gastrostomy tube placement
- Prophylactic hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy in gastric cancer
- NCDB trends in young women with metastatic breast cancer diagnosis since screening guideline changes were instituted
- Managing postoperative pain while limiting opioid prescriptions
- New trial aims to settle debate on the intensity of pancreatic cyst surveillance
- Trends in perioperative treatment of gastric cancer 2004–2017: An NCDB analysis
- Virtual acute care for older patients reduces hospital length of stay
- Ga-68 imaging changes clinical management of GI and pancreatic neuroendocrine tumors
- Neoadjuvant and perioperative chemotherapy for localized pancreatic cancer: Leveraging small and large databases in the absence of Level 1 evidence
- Early-stage prostate cancer decision aids for diverse patient populations
- Keep calm and stay out of the ICU: A comprehensive approach to reducing unplanned ICU admissions
- Postoperative pain and nausea protocols decrease LOS without increasing readmissions after laparoscopic gastric bypass