The American College of Surgeons (ACS) is offering two-year resident research scholarships for 2022–2024. Eligibility for these scholarships is limited to the research projects of residents in surgery or a surgical specialty. These scholarships are supported by the generosity of Fellows, ACS chapters, and friends of the College, to encourage residents to pursue careers in academic surgery. The closing date for receipt of the completed online application and all supporting documents is September 30, 2021.
General policies covering the granting of the ACS Resident Research Scholarships are as follows:
- The applicant must be a Resident Member of the College who has completed two postdoctoral years in an accredited surgical training program in the U.S. or Canada at the time the scholarship is awarded, July 1, 2022, and shall not complete formal residency training before June 2024. Scholarships do not support research after completion of the chief residency year.
- The scholarship is awarded for two years, and acceptance of it requires commitment for the two-year period. The award is to support a research plan for the two years of the scholarship, July 2022 through June 2024. Priority will be given to the projects of residents involved in full-time laboratory investigation. Study outside the U.S. or Canada is permissible. Renewal of the scholarship for the second year is required and is contingent upon the acceptance of a progress report and research study protocol for the second year, as submitted to the Scholarships Section of the College by May 1, 2023.
- Application for these scholarships may be submitted even if comparable application to other organizations has been made. If the recipient is offered a scholarship, fellowship, or research award from another organization, it is the responsibility of the recipient to contact the College’s Scholarships Administrator. The Scholarships Committee reserves the right to review potentially overlapping awards and adjust its award accordingly. Applicants who have previously won an award from another professional society are not eligible for this scholarship.
- The scholarship is $30,000 per year; the total amount is to support the research of the recipient and may be used for salary or stipend, research materials, and travel related to the research. Indirect costs are not paid to the recipient or the recipient’s institution.
- The scholar is expected to attend the ACS Clinical Congress in 2024, submit a report on the research as part of the Scientific Forum, and receive a certificate at the annual meeting of the Scholarships Committee.
- Approval of the application is required from the administration (dean or fiscal officer) of the institution. Supporting letters from the head of the department of surgery (or the surgical specialty) and from the mentor who will be supervising the applicant’s research must be submitted. The College encourages diversity of applicants and institutions; only in exceptional circumstances will more than one scholarship be granted in a single year to applicants from the same institution.
For further information regarding this scholarship, go to the ACS scholarships web page or contact the ACS Scholarships Administrator at firstname.lastname@example.org or 312-202-5281.