Honorary Fellowship in the American College of Surgeons was awarded to nine prominent surgeons from around the world at the October 3 Convocation at the virtual Clinical Congress 2020. The granting of Honorary Fellowships is one of the highlights of Clinical Congress. This year’s recipients were as follows.
- Prof. Wilhelmus “Willem” A. Bemelman, MD, Amsterdam, Kingdom of the Netherlands, sponsored by Fabrizio Michelassi, MD, FACS, New York, NY
- André Jan Louis D’Hoore, MD, PhD, Leuven, Belgium, sponsored by Fabrizio Michelassi, MD, FACS, New York, NY
- Antonio Di Cataldo, MD, Catania, Italy, sponsored by Barbara Lee Bass, MD, FACS, Washington, DC
- José Manuel Fábrega Sosa, MD, FACS, FSSO, APMC, Panama City, Republic of Panama, sponsored by Richard D. Schulick, MD, MBA, FACS, Aurora, CO
- Manfred Frey, MD, Vienna, Austria, sponsored by William M. Kuzon, Jr., MD, PhD, FACS, Ann Arbor, MI
- Seyed Ali Malek Hosseini, MD, Shiraz, Iran, sponsored by Mehmet Ali Haberal, MD, FACS(Hon), FICS(Hon), FASA(Hon), Ankara, Turkey
- Denis Mukengere Mukwege, MD, Bukavu, Democratic Republic of the Congo, sponsored by Alan D. Garely, MD, FACS, New York, NY
- April Camilla Roslani, MBBS, MSurg, MRCSEd, FRCSEd, FRCSGlas, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, sponsored by Steven D. Wexner, MD, PhD(Hon), FACS, FRCSEng, FRCSEd, FRCSI(Hon), FRCSGlasg(Hon), Weston, FL
- S. Raja Sabapathy, MS(Gen), MCh, DNB(Plastic), DSc(Hon), FAMS, FRCSEd(Hon), FRCSGlas(Hon), Coimbatore, India, sponsored by L. Scott Levin, MD, FACS, Philadelphia, PA
Sir Rickman Godlee, president of the Royal College of Surgeons of England, was awarded the first Honorary Fellowship in the ACS during the College’s first Convocation in 1913. Since then, nearly 500 internationally prominent surgeons, including the nine chosen this year, have been named Honorary Fellows of the ACS. Following are the citations presented at the Convocation.