To help commemorate the American College of Surgeons’ (ACS) Centennial, the Bulletin of the American College of Surgeons is reprinting articles centered on the issues and developments that have defined the character and integrity of the organization throughout its 100-year history. This month, the Bulletin is reprinting an article from the July 1926 issue titled “American College of Surgeons Dedication and Inauguration of the John B. Murphy Memorial.”
The Murphy Memorial, which still stands at 50 E. Erie Street, Chicago, IL, was built in honor of John B. Murphy, MD, FACS, one of the more prominent founders of the ACS. Soon after his death in August 1916, a group of Dr. Murphy’s friends formed an association to solicit funds for erection of a suitable memorial to be built in honor of his distinguished service to humanity and to the art and science of surgery. In addition to members of the College, a large group of diverse leaders in industry, business, banking, and real estate contributed to the purchase of the property on which the building was constructed over the course of three years—1923 to 1926.
Since then, the College has used the facility for meetings and as office space for College staff. The building underwent a restoration several years ago and is now used for a variety of events sponsored by the College and other groups and individuals.
The following reprint summarizes the remarks made at the memorial’s dedication, the events leading up to the completion of the building, and construction and design of the building.
Download the July 1926 ACS Bulletin article “American College of Surgeons Dedication and Inauguration of the John B. Murphy Memorial.”