The International Relations Committee of the American College of Surgeons has announced the availability of the 2013 ACS Traveling Fellowship to Japan.
The purpose of this fellowship is to encourage international exchange of surgical scientific information. The ACS Traveling Fellow will visit Japan, and a Japanese Traveling Fellow will visit North America.
The scholarship is available to a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons in any of the surgical specialties who meets the following requirements:
- Has a major interest and accomplishment in clinical and basic science related to surgery
- Holds a current, full-time academic appointment in Canada or the U.S.
- Is younger than 45 years of age on the date the application is filed
- Is enthusiastic, personable, and possesses good communication skills
The Traveling Fellow is required to spend a minimum of two weeks in Japan, engaging in the following activities:
- Attending and participating in the annual meeting of the Japan Surgical Society, which will be held in Fukuoka, Japan, April 11–13, 2013
- Attending the Japan ACS Chapter meeting during that congress
- Visiting at least two medical centers in Japan (located in cities other than the city where the annual meeting convenes) before or after the annual meeting of the Japan Surgical Society to lecture and to share clinical and scientific expertise with the local surgeons
The academic and geographic aspects of the itinerary will be finalized in consultation and mutual agreement between the Fellow and designated representatives of the Japan Surgical Society and the ACS Japan Chapter. The surgical centers to be visited will be determined, to some extent, by the special interests and expertise of the Fellow and his or her previously established professional contacts with surgeons in Japan.
The spouse of the successful applicant is welcome to accompany him or her. There will be opportunities for social interaction in addition to professional activities.
The College will provide the sum of $7,500 to the successful applicant, who will also be exempted from registration fees for the annual meeting of the Japan Surgical Society.
The Traveling Fellow must meet all travel and living expenses. Senior Japan Surgical Society and representatives of the Japan Chapter will consult with the Fellow about the centers to be visited in Japan, the local arrangements for each center, and other advice and recommendations about travel schedules. The Fellow is to make his or her own travel arrangements in North America so that reduced fares and travel packages for travel in Japan are available.
The American College of Surgeons International Relations Committee will select the Fellow after review and evaluation of the final applications. A personal interview may be requested before the final selection.
Applications for this traveling fellowship may be obtained from the College’s website at http://www.facs.org/memberservices/acsjapan.html or by writing to the International Liaison Section, American College of Surgeons, 633 N. Saint Clair St., Chicago, IL 60611-3211.
The closing date for receipt of completed applications is June 1, 2012.The successful applicant and an alternate will be selected and notified by November 1, 2012.