Lloyd Douglas MacLean, MD, PhD, FACS, FRSC, an ACS Past-President, is remembered.
Erwin R. Thal, MD, FACS, 78, a world-renowned trauma surgeon, and a dedicated Fellow of the ACS for more than 43 years, died of heart failure December 13, 2014, at William P. Clements Jr. University Hospital, University of Texas, Dallas.
Thomas R. Russell, MD, FACS, Executive Director of the ACS from January 2000 to January
2010, died August 4 at his ranch in Philo, CA, at age 73 after a four-year battle with cancer.
C. Barber “Barb” Mueller, MD, FACS, FRCSC, former Second Vice-President of the ACS and the 1984 recipient of the College’s Distinguished Service Award, died February 13 in Hamilton, ON, at the age of 97.
Frank T. Padberg, Sr., MD, FACS: ACS department director, DSA recipient, and trailblazer in neurosurgery
Frank T. Padberg, Sr., MD, FACS, passed away peacefully, April 5, at age 96, surrounded by his immediate family. Dr. Padberg was the Director of Fellowship and Graduate Medical Education at the College for more than a quarter of a century and a recipient of the College’s Distinguished Service Award.
More in this category
- Dr. M. Gage Ochsner, co-founder of Ochsner Institute, dies at age 59
- George F. Sheldon, MD, FACS: A lifetime of achievement as a scholar, surgical educator
- John Mann Beal, MD, FACS, remembered as caring surgeon, educator, and advocate for the surgical profession
- C. Everett Koop, MD, FACS, former U.S. Surgeon General, renowned pediatric surgeon, and public health advocate
- Leading trauma surgeon Eric R. Frykberg, MD, FACS, dies at age 62
- John P. “Jack” Lynch, former Director of the ACS Organization Department
- Joseph E. Murray, MD, FACS, opened doors for transplant surgeons
- In memoriam: William H. Muller, Jr., ACS Past-President, surgical leader, innovator, researcher
- In memoriam: Marion Rapp