Introduction: Olga M. Jonasson, MD, Lecture(Comments Off on Introduction: Olga M. Jonasson, MD, Lecture)
A brief history of the Olga M. Jonasson, MD, Lecture and an overview of the latest Jonasson Lecturer—Alexa Canady, MD, FACS, the first African-American woman neurosurgeon in the U.S.—are provided.
Alexa Canady, MD, FACS, describes her career path as the first African-American woman neurosurgeon in the U.S., outlines the benefits of peer support for the success of minority physicians, and highlights the importance of retirement planning to avoid surgeon burnout.
Estell Williams, MD, a surgical resident, describes how Alexa Canady, MD, FACS, affected her decision to pursue a career in surgery.
In his welcoming remarks at the 40th annual meeting of the Association of Veterans Administration Surgeons (AVAS) in April 2016, L. D. Britt, MD, MPH, DSc(Hon), FACS, FCCM, FRCSEng(Hon), FRCSEd(Hon), FWACS(Hon), FRCSI(Hon), FCS(SA)(Hon), FRCSGlasg(Hon), Past-President of the American College of Surgeons (ACS), expressed concern that surgeons have made little progress in the prevention of adverse […]
Dr. Britt, ACS Past-President, shares his views on the state of patient safety in an interview with Dr. Lipshy.
More in this category
- Above and beyond: A primer for young surgeons interested in global surgery
- The art of the deposition: Teaching residents about medical liability
- The 2017 Medicare physician fee schedule: An overview of provisions that will affect surgical practice
- 2017 CPT coding changes
- Profiles in surgical research: Mary T. Hawn, MD, MPH, FACS
- The 2016 RAS-ACS annual Communications Committee essay contest: An introduction
- First-place essay: Paying it forward: When the mentee becomes the mentor
- Highlights of Clinical Congress 2016
- ACS Officers, Regents, and Board of Governors’ Executive Committee
- Presidential Address: Do what’s right for the patient: Franklin H. Martin and the American College of Surgeons
- Improving quality in geriatric surgery: A blueprint from the American College of Surgeons
- Using the ACS NSQIP Surgical Risk Calculator for surgical education and quality improvement
- The 2017 Inpatient Prospective Payment System: What it means for surgery
- 2016 state legislative year in review and a look ahead
- Women’s role in otolaryngologic medicine