Surgeons help with recovery after earthquake in Nepal(Comments Off on Surgeons help with recovery after earthquake in Nepal)
A recovery effort in the wake of the Nepal earthquake in April is described, including the experience of teaching local physicians how to perform rib plating.
The genesis of the #ILookLikeASurgeon campaign is described as are future goals of the movement, which is aimed at promoting women and diversity in surgery.
RAS-ACS Symposium essays—Social media: Threat to professionalism and privacy or essential for current surgical practice?
The topic of this year’s Resident and Associate Society of the American College of Surgeons Symposium was Social Media—Threat to Professionalism and Privacy or Essential for Current Surgical Practice. The following are the first and second place essays submitted from both sides of the debate.
This article discusses how social media, when used appropriately, is an essential tool for the academic surgeon.
The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ, Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a line, Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.1 —Rubáiyát of Omar Khayyám Social media, the hallmark of Web 2.0, refers to virtual Internet communities where user-generated content (photos, videos, […]
More in this category
- The College weighs in on leading health care issues
- State lobby days provide opportunity to influence legislative action
- Graduate of the first acute care surgery fellowship program reflects on the experience
- Sharing clinical photographs: Patient rights, professional ethics, and institutional responsibilities
- Advocacy and grassroots: Leveraging local issues at the national level
- YFA Essay Contest: Introduction
- YFA Essay Contest winner: Promise of the profession: The chance to be human
- ACS advocates on behalf of trauma patients: An update
- Changes on the horizon for global services payment
- The Mayne legacy: A look back at an influential charter member of the ACS
- Dr. Beverley Ketel: Surgeon who brought transplant surgery to Peoria, IL, reflects on a fulfilling career
- Defining your own success: An introduction
- Talking the talk: The keys to effective workplace communication
- The RAS-ACS: Recruiting medical students and training future leaders
- Teaching in the OR: New lessons for training surgical residents