A look at The Joint Commission
Time-outs and their role in improving safety and quality in surgery(Comments Off on Time-outs and their role in improving safety and quality in surgery)
Errors related to misuse of time-outs and checklists as determined by The Joint Commission are highlighted as is the theme of this year’s National Time Out Day.
Developing a culture of safety begins with incorporating lessons learned from adverse events and near misses in order to prevent future harm.
New informed consent resources developed by the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality and The Joint Commission are summarized.
The Joint Commission discourages secure texting of patient care orders for several reasons, including the increased burden of entering the information manually into the electronic health record.
The scope-of-care requirements for the Comprehensive Cardiac Center Certification program, which helps facilities offer a complete range of high-quality services for cardiac patients, is the focus of this month’s column.
More in this category
- Annual report provides details on patient safety, quality improvements
- Cognitive biases can lead to serious patient safety events
- Ernest Amory Codman Award honoree furthers quality improvement mission
- Workplace bullying is a real problem in health care
- Henry Ford Health System opens up about pilot testing Oro 2.0
- New Patient Blood Management Certification aimed at eliminating unnecessary transfusions
- Joint Commission executive vice-president addresses pain management standard concerns
- Support surgical time outs on National Time Out Day— and all year long
- Total hip and total knee replacement certification focuses on continuum of care
- Hand hygiene TST helps hospitals reduce HAI rates
- Improvements continue in surgical care accountability measures
- Credentialing and privileging: Five tips for ASCs
- Antibiotic resistance causing issues for surgical patients
- The high reliability journey: A look in the mirror with Oro 2.0
- RPI can be used to improve surgical care