The American College of Surgeons (ACS) and the American Society of Breast Surgeons (ASBrS) are offering the ACS/ASBrS International Scholarship to surgeons performing breast cancer surgery in countries other than the U.S. and Canada to improve the quality of breast cancer surgical services. Preference will be given to applicants from developing nations. All applications for 2018 and supporting documentation must be received by the International Liaison by November 15, 2017.
The scholarship award
The scholarship, in the amount of $5,000, provides the scholar with an opportunity to attend the annual meeting of the ASBrS and to visit the National Accreditation Program for Breast Centers (NAPBC) headquarters in Chicago, IL, to learn about the standards for a breast cancer program/database and the importance of multidisciplinary breast cancer care. The awardee will receive free registration to the ASBrS meeting and to one available postgraduate course at the meeting. Assistance will be provided to obtain preferential housing in an economical hotel in the ASBrS meeting city. Hotel and travel expenses will be the responsibility of the awardee, to be funded from the scholarship award.
To qualify for consideration by the selection committee, applicants must meet all of the following requirements:
- Medical school graduates who have completed their surgical training and are practicing attending surgeons.
- Members in good standing of both the ACS (Associate Fellow or Fellow) and the ASBrS (active or associate member).
- At least 30 years old, but younger than age 50 on the date that the complete application is filed.
- Have been in surgical practice, teaching, or research for at least one year at their intended permanent location following completion of all formal training (including fellowships and scholarships).
- Show evidence of commitment to high-quality breast cancer surgery, to surgical teaching, and to improving access to breast cancer surgical care in their community.
- Submit a completed application form, located on the ACS website at facs.org/member-services/scholarships/international/acsasbrs-intl. The application and accompanying materials must be prepared using a computer and submitted in English. Submission of a curriculum vitae only is not acceptable.
- Submit independently prepared letters of recommendation from three of their colleagues. One letter must be from the chair of the department in which they hold a clinical or academic appointment or from an ACS Fellow residing in their country. The chair’s or the Fellow’s letter must directly address the applicant’s commitment to high-quality breast surgery, surgical teaching, and improving access to breast surgery locally. The other two letters of recommendation should be from colleagues who can address the applicant’s breast cancer surgical, clinical, and teaching abilities and practice. Letters of recommendation should be submitted directly by the individuals making the recommendation.
Preference will be given to applicants who have not already experienced training or surgical fellowships in North America. The scholarship must be used in the year for which it is designated. It cannot be postponed. Awardees are expected to provide a written report upon their return home specifically focusing on the value of the visit to the awardee and the potential beneficial effect to the breast cancer patients in the country of origin. Unsuccessful applicants may reapply only twice and only by completing and submitting a new application form provided by the College together with new supporting documentation.
All applicants will be notified of the selection committee’s decision in January 2018. Applicants are urged to submit their completed applications and supporting documents as early as possible to ensure sufficient time for processing. Supporting materials and questions should be addressed to the ACS International Liaison at firstname.lastname@example.org or via fax at 312-202-5021.