The International Relations Committee of the American College of Surgeons (ACS) has announced the availability of 2018 travel awards for surgeons 30–50 years old. All applications and supporting documentation must be received by the International Liaison by July 3, 2017, in order for an applicant to receive consideration by the selection committee.
These awards, in the amount of $4,000 each, provide international surgeons with the opportunity to attend and participate fully in the educational activities of the annual ACS Clinical Congress. They are proposed to specifically assist surgeons who work in community or regional hospitals or clinics in countries other than the U.S. and Canada, or who are from poorly resourced academic departments of surgery in low-income countries.
Each awardee will receive gratis registration to the Clinical Congress and to one Postgraduate Course offered at the meeting. Assistance will be provided to obtain preferential housing in an economical hotel in the Clinical Congress city. In 2018, the Clinical Congress will take place October 21–25 in Boston, MA.
Requirements for applicants and awardees
Applicants for the award must meet the following criteria:
- Are graduates of schools of medicine who have completed their surgical training.
- Ages 30–50 years old on the date that the application is filed.
- Submit their applications from their intended permanent location.
- Are in surgical practice, teaching, or research for at least one year at their intended permanent location, following completion of all formal training (including fellowships and scholarships).
- Show evidence of commitment to high-quality surgery, to surgical teaching, and to improving access to surgical care in their community.
- Submit a fully completed application form via the ACS website. The application and accompanying materials must be submitted in English; submission of a curriculum vitae only is unacceptable.
- Preference will be given to applicants who have not already experienced training or surgical fellowships in the U.S. or Canada.
- Submit independently prepared letters of recommendation from three colleagues. One letter must be from the chair of the department in which they hold a clinical or academic appointment or from a Fellow of the ACS in their country. The letter should directly address the applicant’s commitment to high-quality surgery, surgical teaching, and improving access to surgical care locally. Letters of recommendation should be submitted by the authors.
The Community Surgeons Travel Awards must be used in the designated year. They cannot be postponed. Awardees are expected to provide a written report upon their return home, specifically focusing on the value of the visit to the awardee and the potential beneficial effect for patients in the country of origin.
Unsuccessful applicants may reapply only twice and only by completing and submitting a new application together with new supporting documentation.
All applicants will be notified of the selection committee’s decision in November 2017. Applicants are urged to submit their completed applications and supporting documents as early as possible to provide sufficient time for processing.