Apply now for the American College of Surgeons (ACS) Surgeons as Leaders: From Operating Room to Boardroom Course April 30–May 3 in Durham, NC. Surgeons who aspire to meet the challenges of exemplary leadership across all settings are encouraged to join senior surgical leaders for the three-day program offered by the ACS Division of Education. The deadline to apply is March 10.
Faculty will include the following distinguished Fellows:
- Course Chair and ACS Past-President Andrew L. Warshaw, MD, FACS, FRCSEd(Hon), senior consultant, international and regional clinical relations, Massachusetts General Hospital and Partners HealthCare, Boston, MA
- ACS Past-President L. D. Britt, MD, MPH, DSc(Hon), FACS, FCCM (MCCM), FRCSEng(Hon), FRCSEd(Hon), FWACS(Hon), FRCSI(Hon), FCS(SA)(Hon), FRCS(Glasg)(Hon), professor and chair, department of surgery, Eastern Virginia Medical School, Norfolk
- Past-Chair of the ACS Board of Regents Julie A. Freischlag, MD, FACS, vice-chancellor, human health sciences and dean, school of medicine, University of California-Davis Health System
- Matthew M. Hutter, MD, MPH, FACS, general and gastrointestinal surgeon, and director, Codman Center for Clinical Effectiveness in Surgery, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston
- Larry R. Kaiser, MD, FACS, president and chief executive officer, Temple University Health System, and dean, school of medicine, Temple University, Philadelphia, PA
- ACS Regent Fabrizio Michelassi, MD, FACS, chair, department of surgery, Weill Cornell Medical College; surgeon-in-chief, New York-Presbyterian/Weill Cornell Medical Center, New York
- ACS Past-President Carlos A. Pellegrini, MD, FACS, FRCSI(Hon), chief medical officer, UW Medicine; vice-president for medical affairs, University of Washington, Seattle
- ACS Past-Governor Nathaniel J. Soper, MD, FACS, chair, department of surgery, and surgeon-in-chief, Northwestern Memorial Hospital, Chicago, IL
- ACS Regent Beth H. Sutton, MD, FACS, general surgeon, Wichita Falls, TX
- David F. Torchiana, MD, FACS, president and chief executive officer, Partners HealthCare System, Boston
Michael Useem, PhD, professor of management and director, Center for Leadership and Change Management, Wharton School of University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, also is on the faculty.
The course will help surgeons exhibit leadership attributes; lead and sustain change while addressing adaptive leadership challenges; build and maintain effective teams; change culture, resolve conflict, and balance demands within the larger environment; lead with insight into how personal perspective affects success; and translate the principles of leadership into action. For more information, e-mail email@example.com, or call 312-202-5056.