The American College of Surgeons National Surgical Quality Improvement Program (ACS NSQIP®) and the International Relations Committee offer International ACS NSQIP Scholarships for two surgeons from countries other than the U.S. or Canada who demonstrate a strong interest in surgical quality improvement. Applications for the 2017 scholarships are due February 15, 2017.
The scholarships, in the amount of $10,000 each, provide the scholars with an opportunity to attend the 2017 ACS NSQIP Annual Conference, July 21–24 in New York, NY, and meet with program leadership and surgeon champions from ACS NSQIP participating hospitals. Following the ACS NSQIP conference, the scholars are encouraged to visit one or two hospitals with strong quality programs that reflect the candidate’s clinical interests.
The International ACS NSQIP Scholarship requirements are as follows:
- Applicants must be medical school graduates.
- Applicants must submit their applications from their intended permanent institution.
- Applications will be accepted for processing only when the applicants have been in surgical practice, teaching, or research for a minimum of one year at their intended permanent location, following completion of all formal training (including fellowships and scholarships).
- Applicants must be under 55 years of age at the time of application.
- Applicants must have demonstrated a commitment to surgical quality improvement.
- Applicants must submit a fully completed online application form available on the ACS website. Applicants must prepare the application and accompanying materials in English. Submission of a curriculum vitae only is not acceptable.
- Applicants must provide information regarding their work setting, including their hospital and the patients they see, as well as their participation in quality improvement activities in this setting. They also must indicate their career goals, specifying how they plan to transfer their newly acquired learning to their current situation.
- Applicants must submit letters of recommendation from three colleagues. One letter must be from the chair of the department of their hospital or an institution in which they hold academic appointment, or a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons residing in their country. The chair’s or the Fellow’s letter must include a specific statement detailing the nature and extent of the applicant’s involvement with quality improvement. The individuals making the recommendations must submit the letters of recommendation.
- Applicants are required to submit a curriculum vitae of no more than 10 pages.
- The International ACS NSQIP Scholarships must be used in the year for which they are designated. They may not be postponed.
- Applicants who are awarded scholarships will submit a full written report of the experiences provided through the scholarships upon completion.
- An unsuccessful applicant may reapply only twice and only by completing and submitting a current application form provided by the College, together with new supporting documentation. The scholarships provide successful applicants with the privilege of participating in the ACS NSQIP Annual Conference. The ACS will assist the scholar in arranging hotel accommodations in the conference city.
Additional information regarding ACS NSQIP is available on the ACS website.
All of the requirements must be fulfilled to qualify for consideration by the Selection Committee. There is a link to the International ACS NSQIP Scholarship requirements and application form online.
Completed applications for the International ACS NSQIP Scholarships for the year 2017 and all of the supporting documentation must be received by the International Liaison Section by the February 15 deadline. All applicants will be notified of the Selection Committee’s decision in May 2017.
All applications and any questions regarding this scholarship should be directed to International Liaison at firstname.lastname@example.org.