A panel of health care leaders and policymakers gathered on January 16 for the American College of Surgeons (ACS) Surgical Health Care Quality Forum Sacramento, CA, the 21st such meeting in a series of community forums held throughout the U.S. since 2011. Participants discussed the state of health care in Northern California and highlighted ways that health leaders and government officials can collaborate to improve patient outcomes and the quality of the health care system. Forum presenters shared their views on policy recommendations, hospital and health system initiatives, physician satisfaction issues, and the role of the ACS National Surgical Quality Improvement Program in measuring and improving patient care. Panelists discussed examples of state and national quality improvement initiatives that have resulted in higher standards, reduced costs, and better outcomes.
Julie A. Freischlag, MD, FACS, vice-chancellor for human health sciences and dean of the School of Medicine, University of California (UC) Davis Health System, and Immediate Past-Chair of the ACS Board of Regents; and David H. Wisner, MD, FACS, professor of surgery, UC Davis School of Medicine, co-moderated the forum. In keynote speeches, U.S. congressional Reps. Ami Bera, MD (D-CA), and Doris Matsui (D-CA) discussed health care in California, the status of the Affordable Care Act, the key drivers in the state and nationally for health care quality improvement, and how surgeons and other health care providers can most effectively inform legislators of important health issues.
Forum panelists included:
- Ronald W. Chapman, MD, MPH, Director and State Health Officer, California Department of Public Health
- Diana L. Farmer, MD, FACS, FRCS, Pearl Stamps Stewart Professor and Chair; chair, department of surgery, UC Davis School of Medicine; surgeon-in-chief, UC Davis Children’s Hospital, UC Davis Health System; and member, ACS Board of Governors Executive Committee
- David B. Hoyt, MD, FACS, Executive Director, ACS
- Mark P. Owens, MD, FACS, vice-president of medical affairs, Mercy San Juan Medical Center, Dignity Health
- Glenn S. Tse, MD, general surgeon, Kaiser Roseville Medical Center; senior partner, The Permanente Medical Group
- Heather M. Young, PhD, RN, FAAN, associate vice-chancellor for nursing, dean and professor, Betty Irene Moore School of Nursing, UC Davis