The American College of Surgeons (ACS) is now accepting applications for the 2015 Claude H. Organ, Jr., MD, FACS, Traveling Fellowship. This fellowship is supported through an endowment that the family and friends of the late Dr. Organ, a Past-President of the College, established with the ACS Foundation. The award is presented annually to an outstanding surgeon from the Society of Black Academic Surgeons, the Association of Women Surgeons, or the Surgical Section of the National Medical Association and serves as a lasting memorial to the extraordinary life and work of Dr. Organ. Applications for the 2015 award are due June 1, 2015.
The Organ Traveling Fellowship is awarded to a young surgeon who then has the opportunity to attend an educational meeting or make an extended visit to the institution of personal choice, tailored to the surgeon’s research interests. The successful applicant will receive the sum of $5,000, which must be used to defray travel and per diem expenses, plus the cost of any courses the awardee may take in association with the award. The Organ Fellow is required to make travel arrangements to and from the selected meeting.
The Organ Fellowship is available to a U.S. or Canadian member of the ACS in any of the surgical specialties who meets the following requirements:
- Is a member of the Society of Black Academic Surgeons, the Association of Women Surgeons, or the Surgical Section of the National Medical Association
- Is a Fellow or Associate Fellow of the ACS
- Is 45 years of age or younger on the date the application is filed
Applications must comprise the following items submitted as a PDF in this order:
- An essay of up to two pages describing why the applicant is interested in receiving the Organ Fellowship and his or her plans for using it
- The applicant’s current curriculum vitae
- One letter of nomination/recommendation from the applicant’s chair or mentor
Submissions should be labeled with the applicant’s last name, followed by their first initial. Send application materials to the attention of the ACS Scholarships Administrator at email@example.com. Questions may also be submitted to the Scholarships Administrator.
One awardee will be selected, and all applicants will be notified of the outcome of the selection process by July 31, 2015. Requirements for the Organ Traveling Fellowship are also posted. For information on donating to this fund, contact the ACS Foundation at 312-202-5376 or firstname.lastname@example.org.