The Women in Surgery Committee of the American College of Surgeons (ACS) is seeking applications for the Mentorship Program for Women Surgeons. Applications for mentees are due July 31.
This program is an opportunity for early-career female surgeons to develop a mentoring relationship with established surgeons in all of the specialties represented within the ACS. This year, the program will include up to 12 participants who should plan to attend the ACS Clinical Congress 2014 in San Francisco, CA. Applicants to the program must be either ACS Fellows or Associate Fellows, or currently in the process of applying for Fellowship.
Requirements and responsibilities
Applicants should need mentorship in one or more of the following areas:
- Career development
- Work-life balance
- Practice development
- Transition to practice
- Leadership development
Mentee responsibilities will include the following:
- Participate in an introductory call with her mentor
- Attend the ACS Clinical Congress in San Francisco to meet her mentor
- Establish a plan to cultivate one or more of the areas in need of mentoring and identify specific goals
- Commit to connecting with the mentor minimally on a quarterly basis
- Complete an evaluation form and submit a brief summary on your mentee experience at the conclusion of the program in October 2015
Interested individuals should contact Connie Bura, Assistant Director, ACS Member Services, at firstname.lastname@example.org to receive an application. In addition to the application, candidates will be required to submit their curriculum vitae by July 31, along with a personal statement discussing the benefits that the program will provide to their career.
The Women in Surgery Committee also is seeking individuals to serve as mentors for the program. Mentor responsibilities will include the following:
- Participate in an introductory call with the mentee
- Attend the ACS Clinical Congress in San Francisco to meet the mentee
- Provide opportunities for interaction, at least quarterly, with the mentee
- Assist the mentee in her mentorship area(s) of interest and in identifying specific goals
- Complete an evaluation form and submit a brief summary on your mentor experience at the conclusion of the program in October 2015
Individuals interested in serving as mentors should contact Ms. Bura at email@example.com before July 31.