The American College of Surgeons (ACS) offers International Guest Scholarships to young surgeons from countries other than the U.S. or Canada who have demonstrated a strong interest in teaching and research. The deadline to apply for the 2015 International Guest Scholarships is July 1, 2014.
The scholarships, in the amount of $10,000 each, provide the recipients with an opportunity to visit clinical, teaching, and research programs in North America and to attend and participate fully in the ACS Clinical Congress.
This scholarship endowment was originally provided through the legacy Paul R. Hawley, MD, FACS(Hon), former College Director, left to the College. More recently, gifts from the family of Abdol Islami, MD, FACS, the Stavros Niarchos Foundation, and others have enabled the College to expand the number of scholarship awards.
- Applicants must be graduates of schools of medicine.
- Applicants must be 35 to 45 years old on the date that the completed application is filed.
- Candidates must submit their applications from their intended permanent location. Applications will be accepted for processing only when the candidates have been in surgical practice, teaching, or research for a minimum of one year at their intended permanent location following completion of all formal training, including fellowships and scholarships.
- Applicants must have demonstrated a commitment to teaching and/or research in accordance with the standards of the applicant’s country.
- Early careerists are deemed more suitable than those who are serving in senior academic appointments.
- Applicants must submit a fully completed application form provided by the College on its website. The application and accompanying materials must be typewritten and in English. Submission of curriculum vitae only is not acceptable.
- Applicants must provide a list of all of their publications and must submit three complete publications (reprints or manuscripts) from that list.
- Preference may be given to applicants who have not already experienced training or surgical fellowships in the U.S. or Canada.
- Applicants must submit independently prepared letters of recommendation from three of their colleagues. One letter must be from the chair of the department in which they hold academic appointment or a Fellow of the ACS residing in their country. The chair’s or the Fellow’s letter is to include a specific statement detailing the nature and extent of the teaching and other academic involvement of the applicant. Letters of recommendation should be submitted by their writers.
- The application form is structured to assist the Scholarship Selection Subcommittee and assists the applicant in submitting structured curriculum vitae.
- The International Guest Scholarships must be used in the year for which they are designated. They cannot be postponed.
- Applicants who are awarded scholarships will provide a full written report of the experiences provided through the scholarships upon completion of their tours.
- An unsuccessful applicant may reapply only twice and only by completing and submitting a current application form provided by the College, together with new supporting documentation.
The scholarships provide successful applicants with the privilege of participating in the College’s annual Clinical Congress in October 2015, with public recognition of their presence. They will receive gratis admission to selected postgraduate courses plus admission to all lectures, demonstrations, and exhibits, which are an integral part of the Clinical Congress. Assistance will be provided in arranging visits, following the Clinical Congress, to various clinics and universities of their choice. To qualify for consideration by the selection committee, all of the requirements must be fulfilled.
The application for American College of Surgeons International Guest Scholar is posted online at www.facs.org/memberservices/igs.html. Completed applications for the International Guest Scholarships for the year 2015 and all of the supporting documentation must be received at the office of the International Liaison Section no later than July 1, 2014, for consideration by the selection committee. Applicants are urged to submit their completed applications and supporting documents as early as possible in order to provide sufficient time for processing.
Applicants will be notified of the selection committee’s decision in November 2014. Questions about and application materials for this scholarship should be sent to email@example.com.