The International Relations Committee of the American College of Surgeons (ACS) is pleased to announce the availability of 2015 Community Surgeon Travel Awards for surgeons ages 30 to 50. The deadline for applications is July 1, 2014.
These awards, in the amount of $4,000 each, provide international surgeons with the opportunity to attend and participate fully in the educational activities of the ACS Annual Clinical Congress. They are intended to specifically assist surgeons who work in community or regional hospitals or clinics in countries other than the U.S. and Canada or who are from struggling academic departments of surgery in low- or middle-income countries.
Each awardee will receive gratis registration to the annual Clinical Congress and to one available Postgraduate Course at the conference. Assistance will be provided to obtain preferential housing in an economical hotel in the Clinical Congress host city. The 2015 Clinical Congress will take place October 4–8 in Chicago, IL.
- Applicants must be graduates of schools of medicine.
- Applicants must be 30 to 49 years old on the date that the complete application is filed.
- Candidates must submit their applications from their intended permanent location. Applications will be accepted for processing only when the candidates have been in surgical practice, teaching, or research for a minimum of one year at their intended permanent location following completion of all formal training, including fellowships and scholarships.
- Applicants must show evidence of commitment to high-quality surgery, to surgical teaching, and to improving access to surgical care in their community.
- Applicants must submit a fully completed application form provided by the College on its website at http://web2.facs.org/csta/. The application and accompanying materials must be typewritten and in English. Submission of a curriculum vitae only is not acceptable.
- Preference will be given to applicants who have not already experienced training or surgical fellowships in North America.
- Applicants must submit independently prepared letters of recommendation from three of their colleagues. One letter must be from the chair of the department in which they hold a clinical or academic appointment or from a Fellow of the ACS who resides in their country. The chair’s or the Fellow’s letter must directly address the applicant’s commitment to high-quality surgery, surgical teaching, and improving access to surgical care locally. Letters of recommendation should be submitted by their writers.
- The Community Surgeon Travel Awards must be used in the year for which they are designated. They cannot be postponed.
- Awardees are expected to provide a written report upon their return home, specifically focusing on the value of the visit to the awardee and the potential beneficial effect to patients in the country of origin.
- Unsuccessful applicants may reapply only twice and only by completing and submitting a current application form provided by the College together with new supporting documentation.
In order to qualify for consideration by the selection committee, all of the requirements must be fulfilled.
All applications for the year 2015 and all of the supporting documentation must be received by the International Liaison no later than July 1, 2014, for consideration by the selection committee. All applicants will be notified of the selection committee’s decision in November 2014. Applicants are urged to submit their completed applications and supporting documents as early as possible to provide sufficient time for processing. Supporting materials and questions should be directed to the International Liaison at firstname.lastname@example.org or 312-202-5021 (fax).