The International Relations Committee of the American College of Surgeons (ACS) is now accepting applications for the 2015 Traveling Fellowship to Germany. This fellowship encourages the international exchange of surgical scientific information. The ACS Traveling Fellow will visit Germany, and a German Traveling Fellow will visit North America.
The scholarship is available to an ACS Fellow in most of the surgical specialties who meets the following requirements:
- Has a major interest and accomplishment in clinical and basic science related to surgery
- Holds a current full-time academic appointment in Canada or the U.S.
- Is younger than 45 years of age on the date that the application is filed
- Is enthusiastic, personable, and possesses good communication skills
- Applicants with some German language skills are particularly encouraged
The Fellow is required to spend a minimum of two weeks in Germany to engage in the following activities:
- Attend and participate in the annual meeting of the German Surgical Society, which will take place April 28 to May 1, 2015, in Munich, Germany
- Attend the German ACS Chapter meeting during the German Surgical Society’s meeting
- Visit at least two German medical centers located outside the annual meeting city before or after the annual meeting of the German Surgical Society to lecture and to share clinical and scientific expertise with the local surgeons
The academic and geographic aspects of the itinerary will be finalized in consultation and mutual agreement between the Fellow and designated representatives of the German Surgical Society and the German Chapter of the ACS. The surgical centers to be visited will depend to some extent on the special interests and expertise of the Fellow and his or her previously established professional contacts with surgeons in Germany.
The spouse of the successful applicant is welcome to accompany the Traveling Fellow. There will be opportunities for social interaction in addition to professional activities.
The College will provide $10,000 (U.S.) to the successful applicant who will also be exempt from paying registration fees for the annual meeting of the German Surgical Society. The Fellow may use the award money to meet travel and living expenses. Senior German Surgical Society and ACS German Chapter representatives will consult with the Fellow about the centers to be visited in Germany and the local arrangements for each center, and offer advice and recommendations about travel schedules. The Fellow will make travel arrangements in North America, thereby taking advantage of reduced fares and travel packages for travel in Germany.
The ACS International Relations Committee will select the Fellow after review and evaluation of the applications. A personal interview may be requested prior to the final selection.
Applying for the fellowship
Applications for this traveling fellowship are available at http://www.facs.org/memberservices/acsgermany.html or by contacting the International Liaison at email@example.com.
The closing date for receipt of completed applications and all supporting documents is April 1, 2014. The successful applicant and an alternate will be selected and notified by July 31, 2014.