The American College of Surgeons (ACS) is offering International Guest Scholarships in 2014 to outstanding young surgeons from countries other than the U.S. or Canada who have demonstrated a strong interest in teaching and research. The $10,000 scholarships will provide the International Guest Scholars with an opportunity to visit clinical, teaching, and research institutions in North America and to attend and participate fully in the educational opportunities and activities of the ACS Clinical Congress in San Francisco, CA, October 26–30, in 2014.
A legacy left to the College by Paul R. Hawley, MD, FACS(Hon), former Director of the College, originally funded the scholarship endowment. More recently, gifts from Fellows and their families and associates have expanded the roster of International Guest Scholarships. The ACS Foundation website features additional information about these benefactors and the awards they support.The scholarship requirements are as follows:
- Applicants must be medical school graduates.
- Applicants must be at least 35 years of age, but younger than 45, on the filing date of the completed application.
- Applicants must submit their applications from their intended permanent location. The College will accept applications for processing only when the applicants have been in surgical practice, teaching, or research for a minimum of one year at their intended permanent location, following completion of all formal training (including fellowships and scholarships).
- Applicants must have demonstrated a commitment to teaching and/or research in accordance with the standards of their respective home country.
- Applicants whose careers are in the developing stage are deemed more suitable for receipt of this scholarship than those who are serving in senior academic appointments.
- Applicants must submit a fully completed application form provided by the College on its website. The application and accompanying materials must be submitted in English. Submission of a curriculum vitae without a completed application is not acceptable.
- Applicants must provide a list of all of their publication credits and must submit three complete publications (reprints or manuscripts) of their choosing from that list.
- Applicants must submit letters of recommendation from three colleagues. One letter must be from the chair of the department in which the applicant holds academic appointment or a Fellow of the ACS residing in the applicant’s country. The letter from the chair or Fellow must include a specific statement detailing the nature and extent of the teaching and other academic involvement of the applicant.
- The International Guest Scholarships must be used in their designated year. Recipients cannot postpone the scholarship.
- Applicants who receive scholarships are expected to provide a full written report of the experiences provided through the scholarships upon completion of their tours.
- An unsuccessful applicant may reapply only twice, and only by completing and submitting a current application form provided by the College, together with new supporting documentation.
International Guest Scholarships provide successful applicants with the privilege of participating in the College’s annual Clinical Congress in October, with public recognition of their presence. They will receive gratis admission to selected postgraduate courses, plus admission to all lectures, demonstrations, and exhibits, which are integral to the Clinical Congress. Assistance will be provided in arranging visits (following the Clinical Congress) to various clinics and universities of the scholars’ choosing.
To qualify for consideration by the selection committee, applicants must fulfill all of the requirements. The application form for the ACS International Guest Scholarship is available online on the College’s website at http://www.facs.org/memberservices/igs.html. Questions should be directed to Kate Early, International Liaison, American College of Surgeons, 633 N. Saint Clair St., Chicago, IL 60611-3211 USA; email@example.com.
The ACS must receive all completed applications, including all the supporting documentation for the 2014 International Guest Scholarships, no later than July 1, 2013. All applicants will be notified of the selection committee’s decision in November 2013. The College urges applicants to submit their completed application package as early as possible in order to provide sufficient time for processing.