The International Relations Committee of the American College of Surgeons (ACS) announces the 2014 ACS Traveling Fellowship to Japan, which was created to encourage the international exchange of surgical scientific information. The ACS Traveling Fellow will visit Japan, and a Japanese Traveling Fellow will visit North America. The closing date for receipt of all completed applications is June 3, 2013.
The scholarship is available to an ACS Fellow from most of the surgical specialties who meets the following requirements:
- Has a major interest and accomplishment in clinical and basic science related to surgery
- Holds a current full-time academic appointment in Canada or the U.S.
- Is younger than 45 years of age on the date the application is filed
- Is enthusiastic, personable, and possesses good communication skills
The Fellow will spend a minimum of two weeks in Japan and engage in the following activities:
- Attend and participate in the annual meeting of the Japan Surgical Society, which will be held in Kyoto, Japan, April 3–5, 2014
- Attend the Japan ACS Chapter meeting during the Japan Surgical Society meeting
- Visit at least two Japanese medical centers (in locations other than the annual meeting city) before or after the annual meeting of the Japan Surgical Society to lecture and to share clinical and scientific expertise with local surgeons
The academic and geographic aspects of the itinerary would be finalized in consultation and mutual agreement between the Fellow and designated representatives of the Japan Surgical Society and the Japan ACS Chapter. The surgical centers to be visited would depend to some extent on the special interests and expertise of the Fellow and professional contacts that the Fellow has established previously with surgeons in Japan.
The Fellow’s spouse is welcome to accompany the successful applicant. There will be opportunities for social interaction, in addition to professional activities.
The College will provide the sum of $7,500 (U.S.) to the successful applicant, who will also be exempted from registration fees for the annual meeting of the Japan Surgical Society. The Fellow must meet all travel and living expenses. Senior representatives of the Japan Surgical Society and the Japan ACS Chapter will consult with the Fellow about the centers that the Fellow will visit in Japan, the local arrangements for each center, and other advice and recommendations about travel schedules. The Fellow will make travel arrangements in North America: These arrangements will reduce the fares and travel packages for travel in Japan.
The American College of Surgeons International Relations Committee will select the Fellow after review and evaluation of the final applications. A personal interview may be requested before the final selection.
Applications for this traveling fellowship may be obtained via the College’s website, or by contacting the International Liaison at email@example.com or International Liaison Section, ACS, 633 N. Saint Clair Street, Chicago, IL 60611-3211.
The successful applicant and an alternate will be selected and notified by November 1, 2013.