The International Relations Committee of the American College of Surgeons (ACS) has announced the availability of the 2014 Traveling Fellowship to Germany. The purpose of this fellowship is to encourage international exchange of surgical science, practice, and education, and the establishment of professional and academic collaborations and friendships. The ACS Traveling Fellow will visit Germany and, as part of the exchange program, a German Traveling Fellow will visit North America.
The Scholarship is available to an ACS Fellow in most of the surgical specialties who meets the following requirements:
- A major interest and accomplishment in clinical and basic science related to surgery
- Current full-time academic appointment in Canada or the U.S.
- Younger than 45 years of age on the date the application is filed
- Enthusiasm and personability with good communications skills
- Applicants with some German language skills are particularly encouraged to apply
The Fellow is required to spend a minimum of two weeks in Germany, during which he or she must complete the following:
- Attend and participate in the annual meeting of the German Surgical Society, which will be held in Berlin, Germany, March 25–28, 2014
- Attend the German ACS Chapter meeting during the society’s conference
- Visit at least two medical centers (other than the annual meeting city) in Germany before or after the annual meeting of the German Surgical Society to lecture and to share clinical and scientific expertise with the local surgeons
The academic and geographic aspects of the itinerary will be finalized in consultation and mutual agreement between the Fellow and designated representatives of the German Surgical Society and the German ACS Chapter. The surgical centers that the Fellow will visit will depend to some extent on the special interests and expertise of the Fellow as well as any previously established professional contacts with surgeons in Germany.
The Fellow’s spouse is welcome to accompany the successful applicant. There will be opportunities for social interaction in addition to professional activities.
The College will provide the sum of $6,000 (U.S.) to the successful applicant, who will also be exempted from registration fees for the annual meeting of the German Surgical Society.
The Fellow must meet all travel and living expenses. Senior German Surgical Society and ACS German Chapter representatives will consult with the Fellow about the centers to be visited in Germany, the local arrangements for each center, and travel schedules. The Fellow will make travel arrangements in North America, thereby being allowed to take advantage of reduced fares and travel packages for travel in Germany.
The American College of Surgeons International Relations Committee will select the Fellow after review and evaluation of the applications. A personal interview may be requested prior to the final selection.
Applications for this traveling fellowship may be obtained on the ACS website, or by sending an e-mail to the International Liaison Section, American College of Surgeons, at email@example.com, or writing to 633 N. Saint Clair Street, Chicago, IL 60611-3211.
The closing date for receipt of completed applications and all supporting documents is April 1, 2013. The successful applicant and an alternate will be selected and notified by July 31, 2013.