To report your chapter’s news, contact Rhonda Peebles toll-free at 888-857-7545, or via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Metropolitan Washington (DC)
Western New York
Virginia Chapter announces humanitarian award recipients
For the fourth year in a row, the Virginia Chapter has provided humanitarian travel scholarships to surgical residents in that state. The Humanitarian Scholarship Award, which provides $500 to each recipient, was created to assist residents who are interested in participating in programs that deliver surgical care in underdeveloped countries. The 2012 Humanitarian Award recipients, who all attend Eastern Virginia Medical School, include Kara Friend, MD,* who will travel to Ecuador, and Sal Taliercio, MD,* and Peter Volsky, MD,* who will both travel to Honduras (see photos).
Earlier this year, the Virginia Chapter also announced its new Facebook page.
North Texas Chapter hosts annual competition for residents
The North Texas Chapter conducted its annual meeting February 17–18. The program included a competition for surgical residents. The winning presentations are as follows:
- Best Overall: Amanda Kirane, MD, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas; Axl Receptor Tyrosine Kinase Is Critical to Pancreatic Cancer Progression and Metastases
- Best Oncology: Veronica Jones, MD,* Baylor University Medical Center, Dallas; Breast Mastectomy: Is there Occult Cancer within the Nipple?
- Best Trauma: Christopher Mitchell, MD, Methodist Dallas Medical Center, Dallas; Can Acute Care Surgeons Place Peg Tubes Safely?
- Best Poster/Mini Talk: Katherine Ostapoff, MD, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas; PG545, A Heparanase Inhibitor, Inhibits Pancreatic Cancer Metastasis and Growth in Vitro and Invivo
- Resident Jeopardy Competition: University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center (see photo)