The 2012 Nominating Committee of the Board of Governors has the task of selecting six nominees for pending vacancies on the Board of Regents, to be filled during the 2012 Clinical Congress in Chicago, IL. The following guidelines are used by the Nominating Committee when reviewing the names of candidates for potential nomination to the Board of Regents:
- Nominees must be loyal members of the College who have demonstrated outstanding integrity and medical statesmanship along with an unquestioned devotion to the highest principles of surgical practice.
- Nominees must have demonstrated leadership qualities that might be reflected by service and active participation on ACS committees or in other components of the College.
- The Nominating Committee recognizes the importance of achieving representation of all who practice surgery.
- Geography, surgical specialty balance, and academic or community practice are other factors taken into consideration.
- The College encourages consideration of women and other underrepresented minorities.
- Individuals who are no longer in active surgical practice should not be nominated for election or reelection to the Board of Regents.
The surgical specialties that should be given priority consideration for the six seats are the following:
- Colon and rectal
- General surgery
- Gynecology and obstetrics
- Neurological surgery
- Orthopaedic surgery
- Pediatric surgery
Nominations should include a paragraph or two on the potential contributions each candidate can offer in terms of what he or she can do for the members of the College. Submit nominations by Wednesday, February 29, 2012.
If you have any questions, contact Patricia Sprecksel, Staff Liaison for the Nominating Committee of the Board of Governors, at email@example.com or by calling 312-202-5360.
For informational purposes only, the current members of the Board of Regents who will be considered for re-election are Julie Freischlag, MD, FACS; Raymond Morgan, MD, FACS; Leigh Neumayer, MD, FACS; Marshall Schwartz, MD, FACS; and Mark Weissler, MD, FACS.